“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
New Website to Support Young People Through their Teenage Years
The Thrive Bradford website is a new website to help young people (11 to 18 years) navigate their teenage years. It is an easy-to-use website for advice and support, and real stories from people like you. The website covers a wide range of issues including: friends and relationships; self-confidence; sex and sexuality; life choices; curiosity and addiction; self-harm and how to get support. The Thrive Bradford website has been developed by young people for young people by Barnardo’s, in partnership with Bradford City CCG and our Trust.
Quick Help Lines
- Ask Brook
Text and webchat service giving sexual health information, support and signposting for people under 25 in the UK.
- Talk to Frank
Friendly and confidential drug advice.
- Young Minds
Charity committed to improving the emotional well-being and mental health of children and young people.
Confidential service for people up to the age of 19. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything.
- National Self Harm Network
Forum providing crisis support, information and resources, advice, discussions and distractions. It is closely monitored and available 24/7.
Exists to give young people hope and to prevent young suicide.
- Get to sleep on time - sleeping too late is really bad for you. Click on the link to read more.
- Sleeping Problems (booklet and video)
- Sleep - improving your sleep habit (sleep hygiene)
- Festival survival guide
- http://www.thesite.org: Your guide to the real world. It covers a whole range of things like anxiety, OCD, phobias, body image, self-esteem, depression, eating disorders, looking after yourself in general, mental health treatments, personality disorders, psychosis, self-harm, stress, dealing with arguments, unemployment, grief, life crises, seasonal affective disorder and supporting others.
- An online community by and for disabled people
- Positive Mental Health - for anyone who wants to generally feel better (and it helps with sleep and pain too!)
- Anxiety (booklet and video)
- Depression (booklet and video)
- I feel down, low and depressed: www.youngminds.org.uk
- Health anxiety (booklet and video)
- Hearing voices (booklet and video)
- Obsessions & Compulsions (booklet and video)
- Panic (booklet and video)
- Post Traumatic Stress (booklet and video)
- Postnatal Depression (booklet and video)
- Prisoner Depression & Post traumatic stress (booklet and video)
- Self Harm (booklet and video)
- I am cutting or harming myself: http://alumina.selfharm.co.uk and www.selfharm.co.uk
- The truth about self harm: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/content/assets/PDF/publications/truth_about_self_harm.pdf
- Suicide/I want to end my life
- Shyness & Social Anxiety (booklet and video)
- Stress in general (booklet and video)
- Abuse (booklet and video)
- Anger control (booklet and video)
- Bereavement - when someone close to you has died (booklet and video)
- Rape and Sexual Violence - click here to find out where you can turn to for help
ALCOHOL & DRUGS & SMOKING
- Do you need help with alcohol? Services at Ashcroft and other advice.
- Alcohol and you (booklet and video)
- 30 day quite smoking guide: http://bestelectroniccigaretteblog.com/30-day-quit-smoking-guide/
- Combined Pill:
- Injections (Depo):
- IUD (The Coil):
- Long acting Contraception:
- Mirena (IUS):
- Progesterone Only Pill (POP):
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS (STIs)
- Genital Warts
I have had unsafe sex. I'm worried about catching HIV!
Staying HIV negative - PEP and PREP
- PEP Leaflet:
- TV (Trichomonas)