Consultation Skills Training
Scenario 1: ROBINSON
This is a scenario where the patient is attending for a consultation with a GP for a routine medication review. The GP is not his regular doctor, he normally sees the senior partner who has just retired.
The students have two areas to focus on.
- First is generally the consultation, how it goes and in particular the different agendas of the Doctor and the patient.
- The second area is about the potential interactions of the drugs and other safety issues
Scenario 2 – SHUTTLEWORTH
- cons skills – scenario 2 – info for students.docx
- cons skills – scenario 2 – facilitator notes.docx
This is a scenario where the patient has been in hospital for 3 weeks with a chest infection and irregular heartbeat he has been asked to come to see the GP to discuss his medication. The patient has some information from a Discharge Advice Note but this does not fit in with the patients records.
The students will focus on:
- The consultation skills shown in particular the checking of understanding and management plan agreement.
- The issues around communication with secondary care.