Making an Appointment
If you want to see a doctor on the day
We always have a certain number of appointments available every morning.
You can book into one of these by coming down to the surgery at 8am.
Once these are gone, they are gone! So get here early. If all the appointments are gone by the time you get here, you will be asked to try again the next day.
If you manage to get one of the same day appointments, you will be given a rough time for your appointment and you will need to sit and wait until the doctor is ready to see you. This is why we call it a Sit and Wait surgery. If the appointment time is more than an hour away, we offer you the choice to go away and come back 20 minutes BEFORE the appointment is due. This is because we respect your time.
Please bear in mind that you may have a significant wait til you see the doctor, but at least you will be seen by a doctor that day.
Remember that the surgery is BUSY and we do not like to keep our patients waiting but often, it cannot be helped because there are lots of patients wanting to see us. So please do not moan about the waiting time when you see the doctor. It wastes further time and the doctor already has enough on their plate. Please do not add to it. Treat the doctor with respect. Remember, we have squeezed you in today so be kind and fair in return, despite the wait.
Please do not keep going up to the reception desk and asking when you will be seen. Please sit down and be patient. We are trying out best and it does not help if patients add to the workload by intermittently going up to the reception desk.
If you have been booked in successfully, you will be seen. Please sit down and relax.
If you want to see a doctor at any other time...
If you've registered with online access - why not book the appointment online. It's dead easy and our reception staff will show you how to do it.
Alternatively, you can ring the surgery and book an appointment over the phone.
If the doctor or nurse has asked to see you again, please try to book it before you leave the surgery. We are able to offer upto 3 weeks in advance. Don't leave it til the last minute because the chances are that doctor will be fully booked up by then!
There are other alternatives...
Ask yourself - does your problem really need to be sorted by a GP? Can the practice nurse help? What about your local pharmacist? How about our in-house pharmacy team (if it is something to do with your medication).
You can alway call 111 on the phone and ask those qualified health professionals for advice. They are open 24 hours a day.
And don't forget
On Thursdays we are closed for training from 1-3pm
We are also closed during weekends and Bank Holidays
To help us...
If you are wanting to book an appointment with the doctor or nurse, and it is NOT for the same day, please ring after 11am when are phones quieten down a little.
- If it is for the same day, remember you have to pop down and see us in person first. Get here around 8am. By 10am, often everything for that day is gone.
Although we are open until 6pm, please do not leave everything until the last minute. We often get surges of patients ringing at 5.45pm when they could have called earlier (and the doctor was more available). The earlier you call, the better.
Book routine appointments online. It's easy and you don't have to wait for us to answer the phone! Ask at reception for more details.
- We usually have 3 weeks worth of appointments available in advance. If your doctor asks to see you within 2 weeks - book it BEFORE you leave the surgery. In that way, you are more likely to secure the appointment. If your doctor asks to see you in say 4 week, then wait one week, and then ring the surgery to book an appointment in 3 weeks time. You may need to put a reminder in your diary, but this method gives you the best chance of getting an appointment for when you need it.
These are appointments where you feel you do not need to be seen on the same day. In other words, the issue for which you require help can wait a little.
- Can be made by telephone (ring after 11am) or the web (through our online access service)
- Appointments can be booked up to 3 weeks in advance.
- Please make a separate appointment if more than one member of the family is to be seen.
- Appointments for minor surgical procedures and joint injections will need an appointment with the nurse and the doctor for 20-30 minutes depending on the nature of the procedure being performed.
- Please generally stick to one problem per 10 minute appointment. Otherwise doctors run late, each problem might not get the attention they require, and other patients unfairly kept waiting. (Thank you xxxx)
For consultations that cannot wait for a routine appointment, we will try to give you an appointment on the same day.
- As you will be calling to see the doctor at short notice, please accept that you will probably not see the doctor of your choice.
- If all the appointments for the day are booked up you will be asked to attend the following day and try again.
- The emergency surgery is for patients who are really unwell and need to be seen ASAP. Please do not book into this service if you do not have a medical emergency - it's unfair on our patients who are very ill. Remember, the emergency surgery is NOT for things that you think are urgent to you but are not in fact medical emergencies. Neither are they for things that are important to you but again are not medical emergencies. In a nutshell, it is for proper medical emergencies.
- Please also help us and other patients needing emergency attention by not requesting repeat certificates, repeat prescriptions, signing of passports or referrals and long standing medical problems in the same day surgeries
Look at this...
Over a WEEK: the number of patients who do not turn up for their appointment
Over a MONTH: the number of patients who do not turn up for their appointment
Over a YEAR: the number of patients who do not turn up for their appointment
If these patients had cancelled, we could offer another nearly 500 extra appointments per month to other patients who are desperate to see us. Remember - you can cancel by ringing us or via the web. And try and give us at least 3 hours cancellation notice.